HomePublicationsNewsletter ArchiveNewslettersVolume 22Issue 20FIREKEEPERS CASINO HOTEL ANNOUNCES MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR INVESTMENT IN BATTLE CREEK COMMUNITY

On May 25, 2016, FireKeepers Casino Hotel announced a multi-million dollar, non-profit initiative in Battle Creek, Michigan. The new initiative will blend a restaurant with large gardens to grow food for local schools and include a food pantry to help those in need.

In April, 2016, FireKeepers Casino Hotel and its owners, the Nottawaseppi Huron Band of the Potawatomi purchased a retired Fire Station in Battle Creek to house the initiative. This location will be the Hub of the project and a formal name and logo will be announced in the near future. The rear section of the building will house a food pantry in conjunction with the Food Bank of South Central Michigan, distributing food to those less fortunate. Farmable land adjacent to the building will be cultivated and Hoop Houses [Green Houses] and will be built to grow food, with a goal of providing a free salad bar for downtown schools in Battle Creek. The initiative also includes the creation of a fund to support local charities, with 80% of all restaurant profits and an allocation of 50 cents from every restaurant check providing the monies. The remaining 20% of profits will be reinvested into the property.

“The Nottawaseppi Huron Band of the Pottawatomi is thrilled to be involved in this amazing community initiative,” said NHBP Tribal Council Chairman, Jamie Stuck. “We can deliver the region’s best casino resort product while simultaneously focus on improving the lives of local residents. Supporting the local community is always a goal for us and Chef Michael McFarlen deserves credit for developing the concept.”

“The project is going to provide something amazing for the community, including a Restaurant/Bakery, food pantry and much more,” stated Vice President of Food and Beverage and Executive Chef at FireKeepers, Chef Michael McFarlen. “This initiative creates multiple different avenues for FireKeepers to improve lives and create culinary options in downtown Battle Creek. We are all really excited about this new endeavor and eagerly anticipate the start of construction in the coming weeks.”

 

Upcoming Events

Casino Job Board

Official Publications

 

RMC Legal

Visit our other website below: